All athletics personnel that interact with students complete the following certifications. This includes paid and volunteer coaches. All certifications should be on file with the Athletic Director before the season begins.
- Concussion in Sports https://www.com/courses/61151/concussion-in-sports
- Heat Illness Prevention https://www.com/courses/61140/heat-illness-prevention
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest https://www.com/courses/61032/sudden-cardiac-arrest
- Maryland State Component https://nfhslearn.com/courses/maryland-state-component
- Choose 1 Elective Course:
Protecting Students from Abuse,
Understanding Vaping and E-Cigarettes,
Student Mental Health and Suicide Prevention,
Appearance of Performance Enhancing Drugs and Substances,
Bullying, Hazing and Inappropriate Behaviors
Strength and Conditioning ($ Fee for class)
- Sport-specific Course (for non-teachers) https://nfhslearn.com/courses *This course does cost money and is required in your first 2 years of coaching.
Classes 1-5 above are offered free of charge. Please sign up for the course and place it into your account. The price will reflect $0.00. Proceed to your cart and purchase
*Certificates of completion must be turned into your Athletic Director prior to the start of each season*
Also required to Coach:
- CPR certification (good for 2 years)
- Athletic Care & Prevention of Athletic Injuries (required once in your first 2 years of coaching) This course will provide participants with the knowledge and basic skills to recognize athletic injuries and treat them appropriately. The course fulfills the basic requirement for coaches in any public school for the state of Maryland, and is specifically designed for athletic coaches.
CCPS offers this one time each August free to CCPS coaches.
Calvert and St. Mary’s offer this in the winter and spring but for a fee.
Earn 1 CPD Credit
2-day course – must take both days to receive credit.
- Athletic Care & Prevention of Athletic Injuries Refresher (for coaches who took Care & Prevention more than 5 years ago) https://nfhslearn.com/courses/maryland-state-component